Purpose of this document

Individuals and organisations have the right to express their views about the performance of Healthwatch Surrey and the way in which it conducts its business.

Anyone who is dissatisfied with any aspect of the service received by Healthwatch Surrey can make a complaint under the Healthwatch Surrey complaints policy.

We will treat both concerns and complaints in the same way.

This Policy does not cover:

  • Complaints or concerns about the NHS, which should be dealt with through the NHS complaints procedure.
  • Complaints about the provision of social care services which should be dealt with by the relevant complaints procedure.

We will review this policy on a regular basis.

Date: 10.09.19

How to raise a concern or make a complaint about Healthwatch Surrey

1) In the first instance we would encourage you to raise a concern, or complaint, or to provide feedback on our service informally. Providing information or correcting misunderstandings or misconceptions at this early stage may enable the issue to be successfully resolved.

2) If the concern or complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction, then you should notify us via email, letter or via a telephone conversation with a member of staff.

3) Healthwatch Surrey will acknowledge the concern/complaint in writing (or in the complainants preferred method of communication) within 3 working days.

4) Attempts to resolve the concern/complaint will be completed within 15 working days of establishing the nature of the concern/complaint and you will be informed of the outcome in writing. Exceptionally, if further time is needed, where possible this will be agreed with you.

5) The Chief Executive of Healthwatch Surrey will review all concerns/complaints. If you are not happy with the outcome you will be able to appeal. The concern/complaint will then be reviewed by Healthwatch Surrey Board members who have not previously been involved in the matter. Board members will aim to complete their review within 28 days (20 working days). You will be informed of the outcome in writing. Once the appeal process has been completed the concern/complaint will be closed.

6) If you are still not satisfied you can take your concern/complaint to Surrey County Council for the attention of: Saba Hussain (saba.hussain@surreycc.gov.uk). You may also subsequently take your concern/complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. http://www.lgo.org.uk/