Housing Related Support consultation- Tell us what you think

10th July 2017

Surrey County Council is reviewing its funding of Housing Related Support for older people and people with disabilities.  The Council is inviting everyone who has an interest to give their views on the proposal.

What is Housing Related Support?

Surrey County Council pays money to various housing providers who then deliver this support to residents via a Sheltered Housing Officer or Support Worker.  This might include being on hand to provide a safe and secure environment, helping to resolve any problems, providing information and advice, supporting them to access community services, obtaining benefits and managing money or developing life skills such as shopping and cooking.

Why is the County Council reviewing Housing Related Support?

The funding the Council receives from central government has reduced but demand for care and support services is continuing to rise.  Alongside this, lots of local information and support is now available online and through local communities.  The Council is therefore having to make some difficult decisions about how it uses the money it has available to support people in need.

 What are the proposed changes?

The proposal we are consulting upon with residents is that:

“Surrey County Council will no longer provide funding for Housing Related Support.  This may mean your Housing Related Support will cease.  If you have an on-going need for support you will be able to ask Adult Social Care for an assessment of your needs.  If, as a result of this assessment, you qualify for support under the Care Act eligibility criteria, you will receive funding through a personal budget from Surrey County Council”.

If someone already receives personal care services funded by Surrey County Council they will not be affected by this proposal.  This proposal will not impact housing related services for those with mental health issues, ex-offenders and the homeless.

Tell us what you think

The consultation is running from 19 June to 13 August 2017.  If you would like to tell the County Council what you think about the proposals, or for more information, please go online at https://www.surreysays.co.uk.  There will be a series of consultation events held for people who currently receive Housing Related Support so they have the opportunity to discuss what the proposals will mean for them and to tell the Council what they think.